Friday, August 17, 2007

Poindexter wins in 50% landslide!


Despite an horrific level of voter apathy, Admiral John Poindexter has been chosen as Amiable Dunce's favourite Reagan Administration National Security Adviser, winning a full two of the four votes cast. That is twice as many as each of his closest rivals, Bud McFarlane and Colin Powell. Poindexter advised Reagan from 1985-6 before becoming a casualty of the Iran-Contra affair, for which he was convicted on multiple felony counts in 1990, reversed in 1991.

I would like to think that the admiral gained the respect of Dunce readers through his noble displays of loyalty his chief. "The buck stops here with me," Poindexter declared as the scandal mounted, hoping to protect the President from incrimination - to take a bullet for him, I'd say, like a good soldier. Unfortunately, this position instead contributed hugely to the impression that Reagan was not in control of his administration, an impression that brought Reagan closer to impeachment than any implication of his involvement in selling arms to Iran.

However, I doubt that Dunce readers are really concerned with such things as the virtue of self-sacrifice, he probably only got so many votes because he has a funny name.

Here's to you, Admiral Poindexter!

2 comments:

GoodLiberal said...

I can confirm that I voted for him because of his name. Let's do the same with another Cabinet member and have a short bio of each so that all four of us can make an informed decision.

Roger said...

For future polls, I think I will have to provide some context for the electorate to work with. Though then there is the real danger of me spinning the voters toward the best candidate - in this case, Bud McFarlane, who made the gift of a bible and a chocolate cake (during Ramadan) to his Iranian contacts. The man had style!

In the meantime, I've dumbed down in favour of a more cultural survey.